Thursday, November 5, 2015

Mail Order Bride



Suppose you are a single lady and you have just been purchased to be shipped to your future husband.  Suppose your husband receives you and says, "you aren't at all what I thought you would be".  You have just arrived together in this place of spending the rest of your lives together yet you don't know one another.  Sounds like a fairy tail in the making doesn't it....not exactly. 

Now suppose you are a single lady and you catch the eye of a gentlemen you have been admiring for some time.  He sets out to woo you, to take your breath away, to have you fall madly in love with him.  During this courtship you both learn all there is to know about the other person, their likes their dislikes, their dreams, their past and how it affected them. In doing this you have no doubt that you want to spend the rest of your days on this earth with each other.  Soon after, the marriage follows.  Now that is stuff fairy tales are made of. 

Isn't that how we treat our relationship with Jesus Christ?  We accept salvation, we pray a prayer of repentance and open our heart to Him.  We walk away from that prayer unchanged and with no desire to know the God of the universe any more than we already do.  I have to feel that if that  is how I treat my supposed salvation that when I stand before Him, he may just say, "depart from me, I never knew you."

Now suppose God pursues us.  He courts us he woo's us and in turn we fall in love with Him. We begin do desire the things of Him.  We want to read His word because that reveals who He is.  We want to pray on a regular basis if not just live in a state of prayer (continual conversation with Him).  We want to know Him as best as we possibly can.  I believe that more importantly than us checking the box of salvation, joining a church and doing good deeds, God wants me.  Just me.  He wants me to walk with Him.  He wants to do mighty things through me.  Then when I stand before him, I imagine him taking my face into the palm of his mighty hands, looking me in the eyes and saying, "well done my good and faithful servant." 

I've been thinking a lot lately about that moment when I breathe my last breath on Earth and enter into His Holy presence.  My heart's longing is that He welcome me with open arms.  There was a time in my life that I would want people to remember great things that I did.  Remember that I was an awesome wife/mother/grandmother/sister/friend.  While I do want people to remember good memories they had with me.  More than anything I pray that people will remember my faith.  That they will talk about the light that I brought into a room.  Not that shined on me but the light of the Holy Spirit that shined through me. 

I am thankful every day that God pursued me.  He never gave up on me even when I ran the hardest from Him.  He was persistent and in being that he woo'd me.  I am madly in love with my Savior and I want to know Him better and better each day.  I don't want to show up as a mail order bride, I want to show up as the one He loves, the one He has been in relationship with. 

Thank God I am His, and He is mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment